Sunday 5 September 2010

there is always something more I want...

Yep, I'm never satisfied me, and following Helen Highwater's recent post on her vintage china collection I've decided I really need a pretty tea and dinner service.  I've persuaded myself that this is OK because it means I'll invite people over for tea / dinner rather than meeting them at the pub and drinking.  That is blatantly an excuse though and I just want to buy pretty things.

Thing is china is such a new thing to me that I just don't know where to start.  I've been trawling eBay looking at china patterns and one I like is Paragon "rockingham" which featues incredibly over the top filigree type decoration and pictures of birds.  It comes in both red and green and there seems to be a fair bit about.


I've even seen a few pink and yellow pieces though these seem to be much rarer.

Probably too grand for me but I've enjoyed looking at it.

On the other hand, I also love this deco design.  Its more homely and yet much rarer.  It makes me smile just looking at it:

I think this might be the one.

4 comments:

  1. If you're starting to collect china one of the best recommendations I would make is buy what you like! But I warn you, it's addictive! On the other hand it will not lose money so you can always sell!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thought I'd say 'hello' as I found your lovely blog today and have enjoyed reading your past posts :)
    I agree with Straight Talking Mama, collecting vintage china IS very addictive; it soon spirals out of control!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello all.

    Well, I've just bought an entire tea set in the sunburst pattern at the bottom. Probably a bit overpriced but I am having a glum day and though i'd buy myself something beautiful and cheering. I'm so excited for it to arrive now!

    ReplyDelete