Monday 29 November 2010

A failure in the making - the infamous "3-hour sweater"



Finally, a knitting post.

I am trying to do some stashbusting and as a result was searching Ravelry for something to use my three balls of pink worsted on.  Not enough for a cardigan, I already have scarves...and so what was the only vintagey item that I had enough for and that wasn't knitted on the dreaded circular needles...the "3 Hour Sweater".

I tried to knit this originally way back at the start of this year, in fact just when I first started knitting, because it seemed easy - just stockinette, ribbing and basic increases and decreases.  Also, if over 200 people have made it, surely I could, right?

Wrong.  I made a basic schoolgirl error and supplemented a chunky for the worsted stated in the pattern, didn't do a tension square, and ended up with something which I thought was much larger than required (though looking back it probably wasn't that bad).  I frogged it and had a cry and put it down to a learning experience.

So now I'm facing the beast again, and it is a beast.  The pattern calls for very large needles (10mm for the main body) and these are very tiring to knit with; the tiredness somewhat slowing down what should be a quick knit.

As it's going I am not halfway through and 5 hours in, so lets call this a 12 hour sweater, 10 hours of knitting and 2 hours of sewing up (I loathe sewing up).



So far it isn't looking too bad, a very loose knit but this is a 30's pattern and I've seen some original items with this kind of gauge.  I am worried about the sewing up though (did I mention how much I hate it?) as it is so loose and I'm concerned about gape.

So anyway - watch this space and I'll let you know how it turns out.  I really don't have high hopes for this one.

I also don't believe ANYONE, EVER could have done this in 3 hours.  Well, apart from this lady:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfRZnN2rL4Y

8 comments:

  1. Working my way through this pattern right now. Probably will take me 3 months, struggling with the front opening... *sihgs* Love to see how you're getting on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my mum could do it in 3 hours but that's it, me I haven't knit in years, it just takes too blumming long for my liking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stashbusting - love that phrase! Something I need to do with my fabric!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When it comes to sewing and crafty things, I always take about 4 times as long as most people - which is why I gave up on all of that years ago. So good for you for keeping at it! I don't think your sweater will be a failure at all - the first half looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You'll always be a hero to non-knitting me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking good to me and a very pretty colour- it’s also on my ever increasing ‘to knit’ list but probably for the New Year! Are you going to use a back stitch for the sewing up? Happy Knitting…. Tups xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks all. I'm not actually sure how best to sew this wee blighter up. Mattress stitch won't work as I think its far too loose knit.

    So maybe a backstitch would work...is that what you would recommend Tups?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was really interesting. I loved reading it.

    ReplyDelete