Saturday 1 January 2011

The Pin Curl Project: Part 1 - rolled bangs without a rat

Well hello there all, I hope everyone is feeling positive and ready for the New Year.  I certainly am - I started early last night with a few drinks after work at 1pm (champagne, £39 a bottle, ouch to me and each of us that bought one!) and then popped over to a friends to see some of the Vintage Mafia getting ready to go to White Mischief.  I wasn't up for a big night out myself and so was tucked up in bed sleeping by 10pm.

Anyway - despite not having big plans for New Years I did want big hair and so started my new pin curl project a day early.

I'm starting with bang/fringe styles and for my first set I tried a simple rolled fringe.  I need to do this without the usual hair rat as my hair is so fine I have trouble hiding them.

The setting pattern I have for this shows a rectangular section up from the temples set in two rows of forward facing standing pin curls.  As my hair is very fine I set three pin curls at the back and two at the front - any more would make my hair frizz.  I then set the remainder in perm rods and slept on it.

This was a wet set with just a little setting lotion.


Sorry for the scary no make up pics!

In the morning I brushed out the sides into soft curls and pinned them back.  I then brushed all the standing pin curls out and forward over my hand until they formed a large soft roll.  I backcombed the hair nearest my face to create a foundation and then rolled the whole fringe around a mascara tube, slid the tube out and pinned into the tube of hair at each side.  I then set it with hairspray and tied a scarf round.



Thnis is quite an easy style, the set took about 10 minutes and the brush out and pinning about 5 minutes the following morning.  It held pretty well, only starting to droop at about 7pm after several champagnes and so I think with a little more hairspray and a few more pins it would hold well on a night out.  Definitely a good one for work days.

18 comments:

  1. Pretty! Happy New Year to you!!

    Love,

    Frl. Irene Palfy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy new year,love!

    You hairdo looks amazing,certainly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the hair, and the kitty creeping in the background of (I think) the second pic :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the hair, and the kitty creeping in the background of (I think) the second pic :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm impressed - You're already working on your New Year's Resolutions!

    You look fabulous... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy new year! Thank you for this little tutorial. Perhaps I make the mistake to make to many rolls usually. My hair is also very fine, and it usually gets pretty frizzy when I make pincurls...

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks amazing - you do such cool things with your hair!

    I didn't do your poll, as I would like to see more of everything listed!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. it looks incredible. your bangs look perfect. perhaps a step by step video in the future? great look & job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Soooo cute! I love that you can see the sweater you knitted in the background.

    Happy New Year!

    XOXO
    Dollie D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love how the hairdo turned out! :)
    I hope you had a fabolous celebration, Happy New Year to you!

    Miss M
    missmargaritas.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are slowly convincing me that I need shorter hair to achieve such looks. The non-rat-roll looks fab. Oh! And very happy new year to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww - thank you. I just cut my fringe to try another style so I hope I can still do this look with slightly shorter hair.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG - that looks fab! I'm going to have to try it with my crazy fringe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for posting this - I'll need to try it out. Looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mascara tube- genius! Thanks for the how-to, such a fab style too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello, can I ask about the painting behind you, can you tell me who painted it please? It reminds me of a painting in out hotel room on honeymoon in Venice.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Hattie - it is a Tamara de Lempicka print. Beautifully deco.

    ReplyDelete