Friday 28 January 2011

The Vintage Drinker: The Luigi

I have finally treated myself to a lovely Boston cocktail shaker for my Art Deco bar and I have some gin and orange juice so, while my very good bottle of wine just smashed on the floor of my kitchen I can still have a little nightcap.



The Luigi was created in 1925 by Luigi Naintre of the Criterion, London.  Proper vintage like. 


The classic recipe is as follows:

Luigi Cocktail
1 Teaspoonful Grenadine.
1 Dash Cointreau.
The Juice of 1/2 Tangerine.
1/2 Dry Gin.
1/2 French Vermouth.
Shake well, with ice, and strain into cocktail glass.


Now, I don't have tangerine juice and I'm sure it would be much subtler with that, but I do have some Tropicana.  Ha!

Look at this lurid beauty!  It really is that bright.





It has a sort of sweet and sour flavour to it, not unpleasant but not something you could drink many of, thankfully, as I'm hoping for an early start tomorrow.

Cheers!

9 comments:

  1. Oooo, that sounds delicious and I have everything on hand to make one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It certainly is a strongun, I think I'd like a little more juice to booze in the ratio. I'm terribly fussy for an alcoholic, I don't like my booze to taste too boozy. *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers! How could anything that comes out of that fabulous cabinet taste anything but.. well.. fabulous! Tropicana? Good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats really nice! Made me some coctails my self last night, when my man had a friend staying over. They got beers. I got Coctails, thought that was fair, friday and all!
    I do need to get som grenadine as well, its awesome! Love the colouring it makes and is really good just mixed with water, some ice and a lime squeese!! My lately choice of coctails has been Sidecar, my Whiskey sour with a twist(suger/lime´d glass), and frosen pinacoladas!
    Hope your feeling better these days, spring is on its way, I can feel it! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am SO envious of your beautiful cocktail cabinet. I just showed Mr D and he actually shouted 'WOOOWWW!'

    This sounds delish, also I think M&S do tangerine juice (or it might be mandarin, but same diff) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Will give it a go. Where do you stand on Moscow Mules? And did I detect Babycham glases btw?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds good - and is that a Babycham glass? It's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks all. I actually managed to down three that night, slept like a baby and woke hangover free. It is a good drink.

    Yep, I did have 4 babycham glasses (which cost me a grand total of £1) but my cat broke two of them in a leaping onto the draining board manoeuvre.

    ReplyDelete