Wednesday 3 October 2012

Rationing: the first week (and a half)

Well, as mentioned in my Woolton Pie post, it hasn't been the strictest first week of rationing I could have done.  I took lunch to work twice in the first week though, which is good for me.  Whe problem was I had three nights out in a row, all nights involving food.  I know, I know, it is just dreadful being popular...

Anyway - here is my first weeks of shopping.  Beef, butter, sugar, corned beef, bread, jam and VEG.  Lots and lots of veg.

It was still an eventful week however, with lots of wartime recipes tested.  I tried potato floddies for breakfast.  Definitely a winner with a little bacon and a fried tomato.  they are literally just grated potato, what we now call a rosti, with a tiny amount of flour added to help bind it in the pan.  I just flattened them out and fried them on each side until crisp.



I also had a delicious steak hotpot which used almost all my meat ration.  It should have lasted four nights but The Badger came over for dinner and so he had a portion too.  Ooooerr.

You can also see how I badly misjudged the number of potatoes needed for the top.





The final recipe I tried was apple batter pudding.  Not such a winner this.  Really just a semi sweet batter poured over apples and baked.   It created a very filling suety style pudding, which I hated and The Badgery one adored.  I didn't take a picture as I was grumpy with it.

Over the week I found the fastest rations to go were my butter, meat and cheese.  I have lots of fat left and oodles of sugar.  I also had about a pint of milk that I didn't drink. This isn't just about getting used to small amounts of some foods, but about large amounts of others - it is a lot of carbs at least for a modern palate, and I'll have to get baking to get all that sugar used!

In other news: I saved all my veg peelings last week and used them to make a vegetable stock which I then used to make soup this week.  I also dried out the on the turn bread in a warm oven and made breadcrumbs from it for rissoles later this week.  Get me, eh!





7 comments:

  1. I am SO going to try rostis, they're my faves and I usually lazily buy them frozen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All look yummy. Mmmmmmmm... apple batter stuff... mmmmmmmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should tell your gentlemen callers to bring their ration books with them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with foodycat,and go you for being so creative.
    Heidi in L.A.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was lovely seeing you again yesterday, and it's really interesting seeing how you're getting on with the rationing, I think I'm going to try a few of the recipes (maybe just the ones that go well!)

    See you again soon, Sadie x

    p.s. This is the pin-curl tutorial we were talking about yesterday in case you wanted to give it a go. http://thevintagevanitycase.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/there-was-little-girl-who-had-little.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think its awesome what youre doing. Was accually discussing this witha friend the other day, how fun it would be to find the norwegian rationcards, and go through with this aswell haha. But, I dont think my fiance would apreciate it very much.
    But I have been thinking more about the food shopping, and really trying to plan dinners for the week, and eat things from the freezer instead of buying new food every other day... Good luck Lisa!

    ReplyDelete